new to Linux - newbie questions Was:Re: (no subject)

Aldo blinuxman at tuxfamily.org
Sat Apr 23 08:05:56 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 08:10:10PM +0100, Chris Norman wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am new to this list so I'll just do the introduction bit.

Maybe a next time you try to give your mail a subject, since a) you make
more chances to obtain more answers b) it is much better for later, for
archives readings.

> My name is Chris Norman, and I am 15 years old.
>
> That said, I'm looking to get into Linux.

Welcome to the community!

> Can I have some information on Linux's opperation?
Maybe you will find more here:
http://linux.org (general)
or
http://linuxiso.org/
or http://linuxlinks.com/
or through your big friend Google.bom/Linux

> Is it totally command line based?
No, Gnu/Linux can be runned from a cli but you have the X (X-window)
environment for sighted persons or for us as soon as Gnopernicus can run
applications in Gnome (see GAP gnome accessibility initiative).

> is it still open-source?
Did you mean FREE (from freedom) or Opensourcde? maybe see
http://gnu.org/ for a philosophical description.

> If so, what
>language?
Languages are atrivial problem under Gnu/Linux, you may install more
locales to your system and choose the one you want to run; I run en_US
as locale but for man pages I prefer reading man pages in fr, or it, or
nl; if tomorrow I must open an account for some friend in italian or
dutch, I can easily permit him to use that language while I'm using
another.

> Where can I get either the source or bineries from pleasE?
No, the question is: what's the distribution you are looking for? what's
your final goal or what did you hope to be able to do with an O S like
Gnu/Linux?

>and how do I install.
That depends from the choosen distribution.

Maybe the links at linux.org can help you in finding the answer.

A good hint: on my Linux Useer club they always told people to
choose the distrib whichfore they may have a good support by
friends or the club.

Succes!

Aldo.