hard and soft questions - migrating to Linux Was:Re: (no subject)

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Fri Apr 29 19:13:38 UTC 2005

>> 3. Has anyone sucseeded in running computer games like for
>> example shades of doom?
>
> Sorry, I'm visually impaired and run only consolegames such as
>  my favourite gnuchess.

Shades of Doom is a Windows game, created with an audio
interface, specifically for visually impared players.  It's
created by GMA Games and you can learn more at

http://www.gmagames.com/sod.html

I'm not sure if it runs under Wine, though as it uses DirectX.
At best, you'd have to run it under the WineX getup.

As other games go, there are a fair number of console games,
including the above-mentioned gnu-chess, cribbage, Frotz (for all
your interactive fiction needs), nethack, and plenty of MUD options.

-tim