My first impressions of VoiceOver.

Bailey, Bruce Bruce.Bailey at ed.gov
Fri Apr 29 20:15:49 UTC 2005

> I have a couple of questions...
> Are you saying Mac OS comes with a usable screen reader?
> I mean, even if it is a little rough, it would be ahead of Windows.

Yes.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/voiceover/
http://www.apple.com/accessibility/voiceover/

> Also, you said it talks during installation.
> Are you saying a blind person can install the operating
> system without sighted assistance?
> That too would be better than Windows.

Yes.  Insert the Tiger OS X 10.4 Install DVD disc.  Hold down the letter C key while the machine boots.  Wait for drive activity to settle down.  Press Command-F5.  Before the disc activity settles down your Mac will be talking!

A new bare-bones Mac Mini is $500.  You will need a USB keyboard, that is all.
A brief search on eBay turns up G3 PowerMacs and iMacs with the minimal requirements for about $200.  None of those had DVD-ROM though.  You would still need to spend the $130 MSRP for Tiger.