Most suitable linux distro for a blind linux newbie?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Aug 8 13:59:04 UTC 2005

Debian is an excellent choice, but there are also many blind users of
other distros like Fedora, Slack, Gentoo, etc., etc.

If you're contemplating a synthetic speech based interface, your most
readily achievable results will be with a Speakup enabled kernel driving
a hardware speech synth. Software speech is available for Speakup as it
is for Emacspeak. However, you seem to have already discovered for
yourself that their are caviats to getting software speech working.

The stable, robust environment is the Linux console (including via
screen). The gui is not advisable at this time or the near term future.

The stable robust interfaces are either speech or braille based--or both
together.

Some more links for you:

http://www.linux-speakup.org
http://dave.mielke.cc/brltty/

PS: If your friend is interested in an accessible installation, please
read my HOWTO (regardlessof the distro you ultimately choose):

http://www.linux-speakup.org/ftp/disks/fedora/HOWTO_INSTALL.html