Still Looking for a gnopix-style CD

John G. Heim jheim at wisc.edu
Thu Dec 1 15:52:13 UTC 2005

At 09:13 AM 12/1/2005, you wrote:
         That is quite an impressive disk.  If one has the type of
>sound card that supports multiple processes, I don't see any problem

Yeah, oralux is pretty great.  I am surprised you went 0 for 2 in terms of
it recognizing your sound card immediately. I've probably used it on 20
different kinds of PCs and I'd say it came up crowing 80% or 90% of the time.

>         As a final warning to anyone who needs to know, Windows
>supports long file names so I imagine that by making the tar ball of
>the Windows file system, I have probably lost all but the DOS-style
>8-character file names.  In this particular situation, that is not a
>problem, but I sure wouldn't do that to files that still needed to run
>on a Windows box. If there is a way to see the long names, I would
>like to know for future reference.

You won't lose your long file names via tar. Linux/unix had long file names
long before Windows even existed.   I make backups of Windows files all the
time via tar on a shared network drive. I don't think you're going to have
any problem using the files you copied via tar.