porting Libraries from linux to Darwin (Mac OS X 10.4)

T. Joseph CARTER knghtbrd at bluecherry.net
Mon Dec 26 23:02:11 UTC 2005

The way I would suggest doing it is to grab the fink versions of those
libraries, examine the patch and info files if any, and build them that
way.  I did this for building xpdf last night so I could have an pdftotext
that would ignore the ridiculous permission bits and let me read a PDF
whose textual content is impossible otherwise.  I can try to help if you
need some--I'm a Mac user.  My fledgling book reader is actually being
written on a Mac using Apple's Macintalk because it sounds way better than
Festival Lite, and I'm not ready to fork over cash for something better on
the Linux platform until I have something a little more complete to offer
people.

I've kinda abandoned the use of an emacspeak speech server in my own work
because I'm using a word callback to tell me approximately how far into
the buffer the thing has read when you hit the pause button.  I haven't a
clue how to do that with the speech server model devised by Dr. Raman.
(Suggestions are welcome though since I could probably port my Intone API
to it pretty easily if there's a good way..)

On Mon, Dec 26, 2005 at 03:17:52PM -0600, John J. Boyer wrote:
> To make my xml/mathml to braille translator as widely available as
> possible I need to
> port the libraries glib-2.0 and libgdome2 to native Mac OS X 10.4, that
> is to the Darwin flavor of Unix. I want the application to run without
> having to install Fink or Darwinports. And of course I want it to
> install easily with all the required libraries. So I'm wondering if
> someone on the list has experience porting libraries from Linux to
> Darwin.
>
> Thanks,
> John
>
> --
> John J. boyer; Executive Director, Chief Software Developer
> Computers to Help People, Inc.
> www.chpi.org
> 6033 Monona Drive, suite 205; Madison, WI 53716

"We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, therefore, is not an act,
but a habit."
	-- Aristotle