Fwd: [SEC508] FW: exceed environment

David Poehlman david.poehlman at handsontechnologeyes.com
Thu Dec 29 19:00:04 UTC 2005

--
Jonnie Apple Seed
With his:
Hands-On Technolog(eye)s

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Barrett, Don" <Don.Barrett at ed.gov>
Date: December 29, 2005 12:44:27 PM EST
To: "Sec508 \(E-mail\)" <sec508 at trace.wisc.edu>
Subject: [SEC508] FW: exceed environment

I'm forwarding the following message  to see if anyone has a positive
solution.

Don Barrett

  Hello,

I have access character-based UNIX environments using the Tera Term
(http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html) telnet
program from Microsoft Windows systems for several years.  However,
UNIX-based GUI-based applications are increasingly productive, and
difficult to compete with.

For their UNIX work, my company is standardizing on Linux Redhat 9,
using the KDE desktop.
At the moment, my company does not want individuals running Linux
Desktops on their own PC's.  They want to run the KDE desktop on
remote servers, and to have people access this environment through
the Exceed terminal emulator

(http://connectivity.hummingbird.com/home/connectivity.html?cks=y)
program.
My company thinks that Gnome desktop is not secure.  As far as GUI's
are concern, this setup does not seem to be accessible.

I have had little luck Accessing Solaris 8 X-Windows applications
through Exceed.

I am trying to get a transfer to the Microsoft Windows end of the
business.

Questions

1. Has anyone successfully used Exceed with X-Window applications?

2. If I were able to persuade my company to allow me to use a Linux
Desktop,
how would I go about setting up an accessible Linux Redhat 9 KDE X-
Window
system?  By listening to list-serves, I am aware that most of the
accessibility work has been done for the Gnome desktop.

Regards