Firefox in Linux?

Chris Gray christopher_gray at symantec.com
Fri Feb 11 18:32:17 UTC 2005

Hi Janina:

I don't seem to be able to access this ftp address.  I get a message
indicating I don't have authorization to go to that page.

Chris

On Fri, 11 Feb
2005, Janina Sajka wrote:

> Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:49:38 -0500
> From: Janina Sajka <janina at rednote.net>
> To: Linux for blind general discussion <blinux-list at redhat.com>
> Subject: Re: Firefox in Linux?
>
> For various reasons having to do with procedure, current Mozilla
> accessible is in a separate code branch. While the intention is to
> eventually merge the code supporting accessibility into Mozilla head,
> that's not where you will find it today.
>
> Firefox is a Mozilla variant.
>
> Accessible Mozilla is at:
>
> ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/sites/ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/accessibility/
>
> Luke Yelavich writes:
>>>
>>> 	I can understand that since it is written for a GUI
>>> environment.  Is there any project afoot to make it accessible one of
>>> these days?  I still think the open-source software is more likely to
>>> give us better accessibility in the long run but patience will need to
>>> be a virtue since the problems that need to be solved are thorny to
>>> say the least.  I think Firefox is open source but I may be mistaken.
>>
>> if you are prepared to spend time setting up X and GNOME, you can use
>> Gnopernicus to get an idea of what FireFox is like. Gnopernicus will
>> give you access to the GNOME desktop, and a bit of access in FireFox.
>>
>> FireFox has a carrot browsing mode, which basically allows you to move a
>> cursor round reading by line, etc. However, it doesn't as yet handle
>> complex site layouts, such as tables. It it turned on by the F7 key,
>> however the dialog that you get the first time is not read out either,
>> so there is still a lot of work to do.
>>
>> Luke

Chris Gray, Sr. Technical Writer        Symantec Corporation
415-738-2649 voice                      303 2nd Street, Suite 1000 North
415-348-9636 fax             		San Francisco, CA 94107