Are there any Utilities that Read Delphi .cab Files?

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Thu Feb 17 04:05:42 UTC 2005

Janina Sajka writes:
>Hmmm, according to http://www.google.com/linux, there are. I just put
>"cab archive extract" in the search field.

	I wasn't very thorough.  All of you are right on target.
cabextract installed without any complaints and let me look at all the
.cab files just fine.  I haven't figured out where they hid the data
base yet.  It wasn't in the cab files after all.  One possibility is
that it isn't on the disk but is am embedded link to some dynamic web
site which would mean that the disk is just the loading engine.  The
other possibility is that the data are there and hidden somewhat.  I
am looking for big files that are relatively recent.  It is kind of
fun to try to reverse-engineer something as fundamentally useless as
this is in its present form just to say I did it.  The data base is
probably in a self-extracting executable archive if it is there so
that may be a learning process in itself.  One should be able to strip
off the Windows .exe application and have something like a zip file
left.  Even then, it will probably extract to a pdf or html file.  I
am sure the fun is only beginning.

	Anyway, my thanks to all of you and somewhat of an apology
for being lazy and not going the extra step.

	I will let you know what I found if I do find out anything
useful because this is probably the shape of things to come.