adding new users

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Thu Feb 24 15:30:35 UTC 2005

To add two items to A.R. Verner's good suggestion

1) If you're lazy like me, "su -" is the same thing as "su -
root".  The less typing the better (grins)

2) If your usual user-name is among the list of sudo-ers, you can
just  "sudo adduser new_user" should work.

I tend not to configure sudo so that scripts can't run things
behind my back.  If I want to do something as root, I use the
"su -" method, execute the single command I want, and quit the
root shell.  But that's just me...call me paranoid if you like,
but I am (grins)  There may be an easy way to allow "sudo" to
always prompt for a password, but I've not tinkered with it
sufficiently.  Besides, a few of my *nix systems don't have
"sudo" on them, so I don't have to think about it with the
"su -" method.

Finally, if you really are running adduser as root (or sudo'd to
root privs) and something's going wrong, there's something far
deeper afoul.  Learning what the results of "which adduser" as
root returns might helpful.  If that doesn't return anything, but
"find / -name adduser" does, it may be a path problem.  If the
"find" statement doesn't return anything of consequence, then you
know what they say about the creek and the lack of a paddle (grins)

Hope this helps,

-tim