linux and users

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Feb 24 22:09:37 UTC 2005

Shaun Everiss writes:
> I know In linux you need a root account.
> However is it posibal not to have a second account as I don't want to actually log in.

Only in single user mode, but it's not like logging in as any great
inconvenience, is it?

BTW: You're not forced to have a password, even for root.

> I will bee the only user.
> So is linux like sxp where if you have only one account it will log in automatically.

<shudder> I certainly hope not, and I certainly hope it will never
become like XP.

> Note! this aint a secure system, so the account don't need a password or anything like that.

Despite your greatest protestations, it's more secure than you know.

> If I can't is there a autologon or something?
> If i sound like I'm asking a lot its because because I am a newby.

Actually, it sounds like you're afraid based on some bad experience in
your past.

> ANd I mean realy new.
> Like about to recieve the distros in the mail today <grin>
Good luck.