Fedora core 3 and oralux

John Heim jheim at wisc.edu
Fri Feb 25 15:46:13 UTC 2005

At 09:24 AM 2/25/2005, Janina Sajka wrote:
>Well said, John, but I have one observation re your point #2: ...
>
>John Heim writes:
> > 2) a lot of people have acquired a lot of
> > Windows knowledge over the years without even realizing it.
> >

>In my view, it's not the knowledge they've acquired which creates their
>problems on Linux. It's the prejudice they've acquired along with that
>knowledge--the belief that "this is how computers work."

I agree 100% except that I think you're going to scare people if you put it
that way.

I like to tell a story about when I got my first Windows 95 machine. The
very first thing I asked was how I would open a command window to add
myself as a user. Well, you don't open command windows to do things (in
most cases) and you don't create users.  I was flabbergasted. What? I have
to click buttons to do everything? And the machine is going to boot up
allowing me to trash the system?

Having to read the documentation and having to type things in at the
command line comes as a shock to most Windows users and I think we're
seeing a lot of that in this discussion. I think we need to be careful we
don't scare anybody off.