Solaris 10 released, with accessibility built-in! Also FreeTTS 1.2 released. (fwd)

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Fri Feb 25 17:48:38 UTC 2005

Hi.  I'm not a developer, so my info is probably not complete.
Hopefully, developers of Brltty and Yasr can jump in and correct me.

Since Brltty isn't in the kernel, it might already work on Solaris.  The
same is true for Yasr.

Speakup is a completely different animal.  Even if the license allows
it, it isn't likely you will see speakup in Solaris any time soon.  I
believe the license for the Freebsd kernel would allow speakup, but
there isn't speakup patches for it yet.  The big reason is it will take
a lot of time and effort to create the speakup kernel patches for
Freebsd.  So far, no developer has been willing to make the commitment of
time and effort to write such patches.  Developers of Yasr and Brltty
please don't take my next statement the wrong way, but writing kernel
patches is more challenging than writing user space screen readers.
Programs running in user space can do things that just aren't a good
idea in the kernel.  One example is any task that takes a large amount
of time.  Time used by a screen reader in kernel space is time lost to
the whole system, while time used by a user space screen reader only
effects the performance of the screen reader.

Hope this helps.
          Kenny