Solaris 10 released, with accessibility built-in! Also FreeTTS 1.2 released. (fwd)

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Fri Feb 25 19:22:10 UTC 2005

Hi.  I think you miss my point.

Even if the license allows for patches like speakup, it won't happen any
time soon, if at all.  Unlike user space programs, kernel patches are
specific to the kernel they patch.  To add speakup to a Solaris kernel,
you will need to know the details of how the kernel works and write the
patches from scratch.  When I say "details of how the kernel works", I
don't just mean in theory.  You will have to understand the source code
very well before you can start.  Kirk has spent close to 7 years keeping
up with the Linux kernel to get the speakup you use today.  Unless you
can find a Solaris kernel developer with the same modifation as Kirk to
get access to the system, it isn't going to happen.

Hope this helps.
          Kenny