Solaris 10 released, with accessibility built-in! Also FreeTTS 1.2 released. (fwd)

Sébastien Hinderer Sebastien.Hinderer at libertysurf.fr
Sun Feb 27 18:30:04 UTC 2005

Hi Janina. You wrote:

> I wonder if the new, "open," license of Solaris will now allow us to put
> Speakup and/or Brltty into the Solaris kernel?

As you probably already understood from previous answers, it is not
possible to include brltty in the Solaris kernel, because brltty is a
user mode program. It makes no sense to include it "as-is" in any kernel.
An this has nothing to do with the licence, the reasons are purely technical.

> That would certainly lead
> the way to an accessible installation for blind users.

Although brltty cannot be included in the kernel, I agree that every
effort should be made to include it in Solaris in a way allowing to use
it during the installation. To my mind, this point appears as essential:
I tend to be reluctent to trying a new operating system if I know I'll
first have to hack the installation so that I can run it on my own.
And I don't want someone else to install an operating system for me :-)

Cheers,
Sébastien.