Newbie Questions

Bailey, Bruce Bruce.Bailey at ed.gov
Wed Jan 19 10:36:28 UTC 2005

Greetings.  I am new to this list but not the field of AT.  Please be gentle with you correction of my inevitable newbie gaffs...

Janini recently wrote:
> You should be clear that you're not running Linux.
> The BSD on which your Mac's OSX is based bears many resemblances,
> and many things will work similarly. But, it is not the same thing.

Is Unix off-topic for this list?

Is there is a good reference URL that outlines the differences?  I understand and appreciate the whole OSS background, but is there more than philosophy?

What is the best term to refer to matters relating to both Unix and Linux?  I now wonder if my preferred phrase for someone who is experience with the CLI, Unix Geek, can offend on two levels!

I am not getting hits from the Blinux search engine.  Am I doing something wrong or is it known to be broken?  I have tried both of the following:
http://leb.net/blinux/blinux-list.html
https://www.redhat.com/archives/blinux-list/

Thanks!