Gentoo experience

Mike Gorse mgorse at mgorse.dhs.org
Tue Jan 25 19:51:20 UTC 2005

Hi Jason,

Are you installing from the LiveCD, or do you have another distribution on
your drive that you're using to bootstrap it?  I used the latter approach,
partly because I didn't know if I could get the LiveCD to talk and partly
because I already had another distro installed and didn't want to be
without my computer while it was building things (although doing a stage 3
install would probably get you up and running a lot quicker).  Apparently
the LiveCD has Speakup installed, though (I didn't know that when I did
the install and haven't ever used it, so I can't comment any more than
that).

I just looked at the genkernel x86 config, and it includes Speakup if you
build a 2.6 kernel with the synthesizers being loaded as modules.  I'm
assuming that this means that it wouldn't read boot messages, so you might
want to modify the config or build a kernel manually once you got it
installed.

And, yeah, it is handy to have the install guide available while you're
installing; I'd suggest either getting it or a quick reference brailled if
you can or keeping it open in another window/console.

Sorry for the non-answer, but let me know if there is anything I can do to
help.

-- Michael Gorse / AIM:linvortex / http://mgorse.home.dhs.org --