Debian speakup-modified installation?

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Fri Jul 8 15:16:16 UTC 2005

Hello,
I downloaded the Debian modified distribution with speakup built in.
I want to get software speech going on a laptop for which i do not have a
hw synth.
I'll have some sighted help.
I tried and got a linux running, but it does not look as if speakup is
there.
I will ssh into the laptop once the linux is running from my desktop.
I intend to then configure the software speech.  Most people here are
using Debian, but I have only worked with Redhat/Fedora  reasently
and with Slacware long ago.
Any tips welcome.
TIA
Willem