kde accessibility + brltty

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Jul 20 13:01:40 UTC 2005

Andor Demarteau writes:
> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Samuel Thibault wrote:
>
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > Andor Demarteau, le Wed 20 Jul 2005 14:16:51 +0200, a écrit :
>  > > as anyone tested how far developted the kde-accessibility stuff is
>  > > probably compared to gnome?
>  > > and if it works with brltty or maybe is going to wokr or not with brltty?
>  >
> is the kde-accessibility stuff based on the same kinda framework as gnome
> is then? i.e. compatible interfaces for gnopernicus?

Yes, in a word. This is an agreement reached through the FSG
Accessibility WG.

More detail is available in the audio archives of our Face To Face this
past January:

http://accessibility.freestandards.org/modules.php?name=Content2&pa=showpage&pid=70

The sessions you want for this topic are the AT-SPI sessions.

The short version of what is agreed is that the AT-SPI will provide the
mechanism for passing data between AT and accessibility aware
applications. We have agreed on a "Many Worlds" concept for how those
messages might be passed to the AT-SPI from the applications. For
instance, KDE will likely implement over dbus, while Gnome is using
Corba. But these are the "under the hood" details that don't really
matter to AT (like Gnopernicus, Gok, or some other AT) as long as it
uses the AT-SPI.

Eventually, we will have written transcripts from the FSG meeting. I
just haven't finished the transcriptions yet.