looking for a new distribution

John G. Heim jheim at wisc.edu
Fri Jul 22 13:33:10 UTC 2005

When you say you tried the "official patches for speakup, " does that mean
you tried installing   from the ISO at  http://linux-speakup.org/?

I installed the speakup modified debian distrabution from linux-speakup.org
a couple of weeks ago and found it could hardly have been easier. Of
course, I happen to have a hardware synth available and that helps a lot.