FC4 installation hangs

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Jun 27 13:27:31 UTC 2005

[quoted lines by Osvaldo on 2005/06/27 at 12:34 +0200]

>Isn't there a menu with a list of local ftp / http servers just like under
>Debian? What should I enter for example (web server and dir)?

No, not in the installer itself. You can find a list of download mirrors,
though, by going to Fedora's download page, download.fedora.redhat.com,
clicking on the Mirrors link, and looking through the list. In Belgium, for
example, there's:

   ftp://ftp.scarlet.be/pub/fedora/

This is what you'd enter into the server field if doing an ftp install. For the
directory, enter everything down to, but not including, the Fedora (uppercase
F) component.  For this server, for example, you'd enter:

   /pub/fedora/4/i386/os

> b) I do then a (normal) CD inst, and when running the CD test it results in
>a FAIL message; what am I missing? I simply downloaded the
>FC4-i386-disc1(to4).iso using axel; was it better with wget?

I, personally, use wget, although the particular tool being used shouldn't
matter.

>Or does  cdrecord -v speed=8 dev=x,y,z FC.iso is not good enough?

That should do. I use:

   cdrecord -dao dev=/dev/hdd:@ -data image.iso

>BTW I wasn't able to check md5sum since there is only a sha1sum file on the
>download (here belnet.be) server.

There's an sha1sum command to get the SHA1 checksum of a file. Perhaps your
current system doesn't have it. You should really find a way to verify that
your downloads are good by verifying the checksums.

Another possibility of error is the CD burning itself. That happened to me. I
had a media check failure on the first CD, and reburning it solved the problem.