help about recompiling BRLTTY with another display

Talksina boom boom talksina at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 14:16:49 UTC 2005

hi,
I'd like to ask a question.
I have ubuntu (warty) distribution and installed by apt-get install, brltty
3.4.1.
But now, I am going to change from my old Baum Vario 40, to a new Alva
satellite series (USB).
I know the last version, 3.6 if I remember right, has the support.
my question is: can I compile it, and installing it, using my current
working machine?
I mean, can I execute with my brltty 3.4.1 running and my old display
connected in com1, the commands:
$ cd brltty-x.x.x
$ tar xzvf file
$ ./configure with options
$ make
# make install
or should I stop brltty daemon before installing the new one, or worse,
remove the 3.4.1?
And...
does it copy automatically in init when running make install, if the 3.4.1
is still there?
It's the first time I do something like that, I mean, compiling from a
source, a package that runs automatically when system starts, and
previously I had installed on debian way.
Tell me if I can do this operation without help from a sighted person, or
not...
thanks in advance

--
Talksina, saved by a bell!