linux and users

T. V. Raman raman at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Mar 14 03:59:18 UTC 2005

Janina --
Incidentally, if you then want to create other Virtual Consoles
without having to type a password, from the shell that you got on
tty1 just type
open <program name>

this will launch the program <program name> on the next available
VC which in a standard inittab situation is VC7 -- so you'd hit
alt-7 to get to it and so on.

In fact this is what X does during xinit which is why the first
desktop is on VC77

    Janina> Samuel Thibault writes:
    >> Shaun Everiss, le ven 25 fév 2005 05:56:41 +1300, a dit
    >> : > ... is there a autologon or something?
    >>
    >> There is no standard I'm aware of for text mode, but you
    >> may build your own: in /etc/inittab, there are lines like:
    >> 1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
    >>
    >> You may replace this by 1:2345:respawn:/bin/su -c sh -
    >> yourlogin < /dev/tty1 > /dev/tty1 2>&1

    Janina>
Very, very cool, Samuel. Thank you. I have been looking for