Elba list and questions

Tommy Craig tecraig at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 14 18:41:22 UTC 2005

Hi Peter,

	I just got your message on the Elba list last night. I'm sorry I
didn't respond faster but I think it's reasonable to wait until the next
work day to respond.

	First of all, I deal primarily with the U.S. market and so I don't
do a lot with dual language machines. As I understand it though you have to
choose a language that will be your default. This is due to the prompts and
everything else being set up in that language. Then you can add up to 3 more
languages to the machine but these will primarily be used in documents. For
example, if I were taking a French class I could write files for that class
in French and have them read back to me in French.

	Everything on the Elba can be set up by the user. If you got the
wrong version, such as a French machine and you wanted English all you have
to do is flash a new firmware to the Elba. This is done in the same way as
updating the firmware. You will need to talk to your distributor or
Papenmeier to obtain this software.

	As for the version number of the Elba, there are two versions. The
one that you see when the machine is turned on is a hardware version. This
number is usually either 1.21 or 1.23. There is really very little
difference between the versions. It only affected a specific language issue
with certain languages. The version that the manual refers to is also spoken
when the Elba boots. It should come up just before you get to the control
center. Depending on the country you are in, this will probably be either
1.41 or 1.50. This is the firmware version and when the machine is updated
this changes.

	In the U.S. the released version is 1.41 and I will be posting a 1.5
version this week.

	As for USB drives, we don't support them. The USB port is a client
and not a host. I believe that this rules out your USB modem option also.

	I hope this helps you get started. Let me know if I can be of more
help.

Tommy