Man changes ` to '

Lee_Maschmeyer at wayne.edu Lee_Maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Thu Mar 17 18:24:23 UTC 2005

Hi folks,

For a LONG time on my Fedora systems, man pages have shown up with
backquotes changed to apostrophes. This is usually innocuous, but when
the bash manual says command substitution is accomplished by 'command'
it starts to get sinister!

To reproduce or disprove this, do a `man bash' and, at the colon,
issue:

/Command Substitution

By doing

man bash > bash.txt

and using emacs to examine that file, I can tell it's not `less'
that's the culprit. /etc/man.config specifies TROFF as "groff -Tps
-man" and NROFF as "nroff --legacy NROFF_OLD_CHARSET -man". Changing
both of these to "-Tascii -man" does no good.

Assuming I'm not the only one with this problem, does anybody know how
to fix it? Thanks much for any info,

--

Lee Maschmeyer
<lee_Maschmeyer at wayne.edu>

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear
to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than
what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
     --Lewis Carroll