questions about operating systems built on linux

Janina Sajka janina at freestandards.org
Mon Mar 21 17:12:13 UTC 2005

Well, I don't know anything about lindots, but the various flavors of
BSD, including the FreeBSD you mention, are quite well known. However,
these aren't flavors of, or kinds of Linux. Rather, these and Linux are
really all kinds of Unix.

A look into the history of Unix is the place to go to get a handle on
how all these fit together, and why they tend to look so much alike to
the casual user. Here are some good starting points:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/faq/part6/section-2.html
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/opensources/book/raymond.html