interacting with the cursor:

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Mar 30 18:19:49 UTC 2005

[quoted lines by david poehlman on 2005/03/30 at 13:08 -0500]

>I am doing research in order to figure out whether my position is held y
>others who are important in this process more so than I so that I might better
>serve the community in all the testing that I do.

What do you test?

>I meant no insult to no one.

No, I don't think anyone would've interpreted that "mouse" statement as an
insult. To me, it just looked like an attempt to keep the discussion strictly
philosophical in nature, rather than to allow it to become biased by opinions
on specific applications.

My personal opinion is that I enjoy backspace doing one thing and delete doing
another. This is simply because there are times when I want to do one function
and times when I want to do the other. I'd have an extreme dislike for any
design which forced me to have to choose between only one or only the other,
and this dislike would be in the extreme if such a constraint were being
imposed by a screen reader, which, of course, would thereby impose that
constraint on everything.

The concept of a "current character" is even applicaiton-dependent. Even in a
single application, e.g. vim, the concept of a "current character" is
mode-dependent. Even what happens when you type is mode-dependent, e.g.  if
you're in insert mode versus if you're in replace mode. Having a screen reader
impose it's own interpretation of something like that may well indirectly cause
certain applications to become inaccessible.