Fw: new to linux.....

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Mar 30 20:49:05 UTC 2005

Hello, vasile:

I believe most of us either Debian or Fedora. Some of us Slackware or
Gentoo, and a few of us use Suse or other distributions.

Most of us do not use gnome accessibility, at least not yet. You should
consider that environment is still expirimental.

Most of us use the Linux console environment with speech based
interfaces such as Speakup or Emacspeak. Many of us Brltty.

For installation you'll want either braille or speakup enabled
installation media. Both exist for Fedora, and I believe also for
Debian, Slack, and Gentoo.

I maintain an installation HOWTO that you should use, even if you decide
on some distribution other than Fedora. You can find this HOWTO at:

http://www.linux-speakup.org/ftp/disks/fedora/HOWTO_INSTALL.html

One word of caution. The Speakup site has been very slow these last few
weeks. We are getting close to a new solution--but it's not available
yet, and I don't yet have a date when it might be available.

Here's what you can expect:

1.)	You should be able to install Linux without sighted assistance
using either braille or speech with a hardware speech synthesizer.

2.)	You should be able to configure your system for native use with
speech or braille -- or both, from the Linux console. You can do many
many things in this environment and it's worth learning about them.

3.)	You should not attempt to use gnome until you become more of an
expert on Linux--at least for now.

I hope this helps. Please continue to ask your questions.