Linking two terminals

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Thu Mar 31 14:49:51 UTC 2005

> What is the command to link two terminals so that anything
> typed on one will appear on the other?

In addition to the previously mentioned "screen" application, you
can use the "kibitz" script which is described at

http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man1/kibitz.1.html

I'd have to go hunting for the source, but from what I read, it
looks like it's just a perl script.  It should be available for
download at

http://search.cpan.org/src/RGIERSIG/Expect-1.15/examples/kibitz/kibitz

Oh, the previous suggestion of using "screen" can also be used to
answer your previous question about virtual consoles...screen
allows you to multiplex terminals, so with one ssh connection,
you can connect to a single box, and then from there use "screen"
to provide multiple terminals, allowing you to have connections
to a multitude of other boxes.  I use it quite regularly and it's
chock full of useful features like notifying you if a terminal
has been silent for X seconds (if you've got a long compile
running in the background, this is handy to let you know when
it's done), or notify you when there's activity on a terminal
(great for chatting sessions).  It also allows you to detach your
session from one connection (say, at work), then go home, and
reattach, picking up right where you left off.  I recommend
getting cozy with "screen" to anybody who spends any amount of
time in a console session.

-tim