scanning with scanimage and Gocr

Ryan Mann rmann at freeshell.org
Mon May 23 17:42:20 UTC 2005

Hello.  I apologize if this has been asked before, but I just subscribed
to this list.  Has anybody been able to successfully scan and read a
printed document with Scanimage and Gocr under Linux?  If so, how?  I've
been trying to use scanimage to scan the document and Gocr to turn it into
text, but I get mostly garbage.  If you don't use Scanimage and Gocr, what
do you use for this purpose?  Scanning documents is the main reason I need
to keep Windows on my laptop, so if there is a reliable way to scan
documents under Linux, I could do away with Windows altogether.
Thanks for your help.

Ryan

rmann at sdf.lonestar.org