Getting started

Jan and Bertil Smark Nilsson bjsn at tpg.com.au
Sat Nov 5 02:46:07 UTC 2005

Hello Odd,

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005, Odd Martin Baanrud wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I plan to install Linux on a 21 GB harddrive.
> I have some questions, which I hope someone can answer.
>
> What distribution should I use?

I use Fedora Core 4 with which I'm very happy.

> Is it possible to get my Braille Voyager functioning durring the
> installation?

Yes, if you download the braillified version installation disc ISO from
http://www.mielke.cc/brltty.

> And/or, is it possible to get speech?
> I don't have an external synth, so it must be via the sound card.
>
> Witch programs are the best for:
> * Mail

I use Pine.
> * News

Pine takes care of that, too.
> * Web browsing

I use Links 2. In my opinion, it's much easier to use with braille.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to support Javascript totally. I have
problems with banks and airlines.

> * Listening to diffrent kinds of multimedia.

Mplayer.

> * IRC
> * Speech
> * Sound recording/editing