tactile map features needed

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Nov 9 14:05:00 UTC 2005

An Open Email To Amy:

Dear Amy:

Your solicitation for design requirements for software to produce
tactile maps is admirable. We applaud you for asking the community of
users what there needs are before developing your software.

However, before answering your survey, I would like to ask U. of Oregon
a question. Your solicitation wasposted to an email list for persons who
are blind and use Linux. May we infer from this that your software will
run on Linux, and in particular from the Linux console? More
importantly, will your software be released with an open source license
such as the GPL?

Certainly an application for generating tactile maps of varying detail
would be welcome. However, we are keenly aware that all software is not
created equal. We can cite a long history of publically funded projects
which have produced software that can only be used in proprietary
environments. If your software will be developed in an open environment,
I would expect you will receive solid interest and technical feedback
from this community. If not, well then we probably aren't interested.