Still Looking for a gnopix-style CD

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Tue Nov 29 14:31:14 UTC 2005

	I downloaded the tomsrtbt 1.72-Meg floppy image several months
ago and found out via google how to make it produce a serial console.

	I made myself a toms disk for ttyS0 and another for ttyS1 and
they work, but I have run in to a system that will eventually be a
Linux box after I salvage all the .wav files and some pictures that
may be on it so I can't reformat the hard drive just yet.

	If I had a CDROM that contained enough Linux to get ssh and
scp going as well as tar and at least gzip, etc, I could boot this CD
on the computer in question and use tar, cpio, or even possibly ftp to
transfer the contents of the hard drive to another system that is
already working and then I can go ahead and install Debian on this
former Windows system in the usual manner.

	Is there anything around now that is kind of like the tomsrtbt
disk that fits on a CDROM that would allow me to boot a serial console
and have pretty much a normal shell with vi and enough networking
utilities to transfer files off the system to another one?

	I did download a gnopix disk some time back and it probably
works, but I wasn't able to get a serial command line shell going upon
boot so it is fairly useless to me.

	Thanks for any ideas.

Martin McCormick