Distributing braille documens digitally, suggestions please

Mario Lang mlang at teleweb.at
Fri Oct 14 09:06:22 UTC 2005

Lloyd Rasmussen <lras at loc.gov> writes:

> The Unicode range 2800-28ff is the "official" way to represent any 8-dot
> braille pattern, but I don't know whether anyone actually uses and supports
> it.

Yes, thats the point of my question, I was aware of the Unicode
range for Braille, but this is no use as long as it is not supported
on the client sides...

> Also I would expect problems (in 6-dot braille) with different
> embossers and page sizes.  Or are you contemplating only reading
> this braille on refreshable displays?

Well, the ideal would be if the material provided could be either
viewed on a refreshable display or printed with a braille embosser. I am
aware of page size and line length issues.  I guess for this
to really work with embossers, I'll have to write some CGI script which
reformats the content at presentation time so that the user
could choose a format.  However, this feels like much work for a very
little subgroup since I have a feeling that not many blind people
own embossers today.  At least I never did, and I actually know no one
in my area with a personal embosser.
Leaving printing aside for a while, the dot table difrrence
issue still stands.  How did people solve this in the past?

--
CYa,
  Mario