Distributing braille documens digitally, suggestions please

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Fri Oct 14 18:18:32 UTC 2005

Mario mentioned already being aware of the Unicode range so he probably
already knows my kindergarten-level comments. This is all brand new to me so
please disregard if appropriate:

>From what I saw as I investigated this today, the u+2800 range specifies how
to format specific characters. It does not address the meaning of those
characters. In other words, the writer designs the dot pattern and it should
appear the same way regardless of code page or locale. Each dot is a bit
from 01 to 80. Thus if I want to write dot 1 I code u+2801. If I want to
write dot 3 I code u+2804; if I want to write dots 4-5-6 I code u+2838.

Jaws cannot display this, but with Windows you can select specific fonts.
There's a link labeled "fonts that can display this character" on the
Unicode formats page that I didn't look at. Perhaps by selecting such a font
the user could get the stuff to display right. This could also be done by
selecting a table in brltty(?).

--
Lee Maschmeyer
<lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu>

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear
to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than
what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
     --Lewis Carroll