BookPort and Linux

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Fri Apr 28 08:13:53 UTC 2006

T. Joseph CARTER, le Fri 28 Apr 2006 01:05:47 -0700, a écrit :
> The software FOR WINDOWS lets you send random files to the BookPort from
> context menus and whatnot.

By mounting the device as a USB key, ANY software on linux can do this.

> One of the things the software will do is analyze
> audibook mp3 files and create navigation bookmarks which map to next
> sentance, next paragraph, and next chapter.  It does this by length of the
> pauses between words.

Software like this can be written and might already exist.  This really
doesn't have to do with the device.

> The software, again, FOR WINDOWS, supports more file formats than the
> hardware device does.

And linux software like ogg123/mplayer/... can handle oggs, mp3s, mpgs,
wavs, aus, flcs, etc...

> Now, I assume that probably about half of its functionality is available
> under Linux.  The other half would have to be written.

Indeed.  But I repeat: this _doesn't_ have to do with the device itself.
In Free Software, such software is always written independently of the
actual device where files are stored.

> rsync doesn't even begin to enter the equation until someone who's got one
> reports what the thing does when you plug it in to a Linux box via USB.
> Presumably someone has done this.  I'm looking for that person.

Agreed.  You need to be able to mount it.  But then you'll have a
plethora of software for managing files of the mount.  This really is
independent.

Samuel