Intel 536EP modem for Voip in Linux

Brent Harding bharding at doorpi.net
Tue Aug 22 03:44:33 UTC 2006

Hi. I am thinking of getting Asterisk going eventually, seems neat how you
can combine multiple services into 1 phone instead of having phones
everywhere for Voip networks or regular calls. My old box has an Intel 536EP
modem in it that I used since Windows-98 was still the OS many systems were
built with. The modem is a voice modem and has a port for the phone
extension and for the line from the phone company. Could I use this modem as
an extension if I set up an Asterisk system, assuming I will be getting rid
of the cable phone service because of price and lack of basic features such
as 3-way, *69, etc, and going with a Voip provider that is standard and
would work on it? I've heard of cards that do provide a port for an analog
phone, but not sure there's a blind-friendly howto on the hardware side of
things as far as how I'd get the old modem out and this in, and what sort of
power connector to connect to it as I thought cards got power off the PCI
slot.