update needed on software synthesizers for linux

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Fri Feb 10 13:00:26 UTC 2006

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, krishnakant Mane wrote:
Hi,
Yes, you can use the old viavoice with the latest kernels, but it is not
strait forward.
I have some files here which make the process a little more painless.
It was old rpms released in 1999.  I have been using it for a few months
now and it works well.

I am using it with speakup through speech-dispatcher.
It is now called ttsynth.
<LI><a href="http://www.ttsynth.com/">Welcome To TTSynth buy viavoice runtime here</a>
<LI><a href="http://www.wizzardsoftware.com/ibm_tts_sdk.php">bulk ttsynth/viavoice buy here</a>
<LI><a href="http://www.ttsynth.com/sample.ogg">Listen to TTSynth explain itself through this link!</a>

Sorry for the html.
There is also a way to make this voice work in gnome with gnopernicus
through the gnome-speech speech-dispatcher driver.
IMHO gnopernicus is not usable yet.
As far as I know, building new voices with the festival/festvox tools is
not easy.
Freetts basicly gives you the same voices as flite.
HTH
Willem

> hi,  I am putting my questions against your answers.  look for *q*
> where I am putting my comments.
>
> On 10/02/06, Willem van der Walt <wvdwalt at csir.co.za> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> You can actually use IBM viavoice.
>> I am using an old unsupported version, but these days you can buy it
>> again.
> *q* please give more details on IBM viavoice,  what do u mean by older
> versions.  if I want to use that so called older version, can I use it
> with kernel 2.6.  Please specify.
>> Also go to www.llsti.org where there are some other free software
>> including Hindi.
>> HTH
>> Willem
> *q* I wont mind if I don't have any thing on hindi right now, but my
> main issue is quality of speach.  I want to know if I can create my
> own voices, do you have any info about festvox, I mean can I have
> better voices created or is it that I get the same tone with added
> voices.
>>

>> On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, krishnakant Mane wrote:
>>
>>> well, actually my main question is about the software synths available
>>> under the gpl or lgpl.
>>> I want to know if there are better synths than flite,  I want better
>>> quality voices like IBM's viavoice or eloquence used by jaws for
>>> windows.
>>> or if there is a way we can use existing speach engines to generate
>>> better voice.  I heard about festvox but is it for just adding new
>>> voice with a diphone speach or can I improve the speaking quality like
>>> inflection and the pronounciations etc.
>>> if not then what are the better options.
>>> thanks,