Recording Streaming Audio?

Jan and Bertil Smark Nilsson bjsn at ozemail.com.au
Mon Feb 13 23:15:48 UTC 2006

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Geoff Shang wrote:

> Jan and Bertil Smark Nilsson wrote:
>
>> I use mplayer. When I want to record a stream, I issue the command
>>
>> mplayer -playlist <urlfile> -ao pcm:file=<outputfile>.wav -vc dummy -vo
>> null
>
> This will record to uncompressed wav format, ok if you have the space.

Quite true. However, you can write a script to take care of the
conversion. Have a look at

http://grimthing.com/archives/2004/05/20/recording-streaming-audio-with-mplayer/

Note that the mplayer command suggested there has to be changed slightly
with regard to specifying the output file.

> BTW: Why use "-vc dummy" instead of "-vc null"?  Just curious.

Good question. I got that idea from the above webpage. It probably doesn't
matter.

Bertil