Less with Bookmarks

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Wed Jan 11 21:12:07 UTC 2006

Hi folks,

`lb' - Less with Bookmarks - is a suite of Bash scripts I've written to
display text files. It should display almost any text file properly, keeping
track of your progress through the file so the next time you start reading
it you're where you left off before. It also aligns pages; each page starts
at the top of the screen so it doesn't look stupid. If it's a braille file
(the name contains .brf or .brl or the command line contains the -b switch)
it automatically translates everything to 6-dot characters as displayed by
brltty, and it can use the bottom line of the screen as part of the text
viewing area (great for 25-line pages on a 25-line screen). The main lb
script has over 1100 lines so this isn't especially trivial - not the kind
of stuff your 6th-grade kid wrote as an exercise. There are also helper
scripts to perform text file manipulations such as reflowing the text to any
line length.

For the most part I've had only one tester but she no longer uses Linux
(converted to Mac). This is not available on the web anywhere but I'll be
glad (I'd like!) to send it to anyone who's interested or can pretend to be
:-). Please write to the address below.

Thanks for your time,

--
Lee Maschmeyer
<lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu>

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to
others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you
had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
     --Lewis Carroll