TripleTalk USB kernel driver?

T. Joseph CARTER knghtbrd at bluecherry.net
Thu Jan 26 10:05:00 UTC 2006

My understanding is that Speakup can't handle the TripleTalk USB when
connected via USB.  If my understanding is outdated, someone please
correct it?  *smile*

Anyway, I was looking at the specs on this thing, and since I've been
looking at both it and the RC Systems documentation for the chipset, I've
been thinking that it should be absolutely trivial to support connection
to the thing via USB, and the support necessary already exists in the
Linux kernel (though probably not compiled-in for any major distribution I
would expect!)

The USB connection is probably just some silly USB-serial bridge chip.
These things all pretty much work alike, and there's a general USB serial
driver already to provide most of the guts.  All that's missing is a thing
pretty much like visor.ko to decide which endpoints to access.  It should
be really easy to do if someone's got one and is willing to poke at the
USB bus while someone interprets the results and feeds them fresh code to
try.  The process can be simplified if someone can find out which bridge
chip the thing uses.

With libusb, the process can even be done in userspace where it's less
likely to panic your kernel in the prodding phase before a kernel driver
is written.  *grin*  I'd offer to assist with this but I can't afford a
TripleTalk USB and would honestly be more interested in the DECTalk USB if
I could afford it.  (I would be willing to bet good money that a driver
for one synth supports both if you know the device ID's!)  Just some
thoughts.  I do not know that they haven't been already considered and
rejected--I was just looking at the things today because I was looking for
a cheap synth.  I didn't find one.  *frown*

--
"We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, therefore, is not an act,
but a habit."