Getting started with Gnopernicus

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sat Jul 8 23:35:18 UTC 2006

So far as my past experience indicates, you can't get there from here.
The problems are slackware and debian and in each case they're different.
You may be able to do it with slackware but you'll need to do your gnome
install from gnome.org since the current version has all of the
accessibility pieces in it you'll need.  slackware has gargnome and it
doesn't have all of the accessibility pieces installed.  Debian is
probably similar to slackware.  gnopernicus on debian may have all of the
pieces installed including speech but even with festival and eflite
installed I could never get that working.  Fedora 3 and maybe above and
ubuntu might be better ways to go.  If you want a link to the site with
the ubuntu accessibility disk I can send it.  The problem with ubuntu
though is it needs sighted assistance to even install it and the help I
had earlier this weekend got me a failed system install.  That was an
error 18 in grub and that happened because ubuntu didn't make me a boot
partition.