virtual machine question

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Thu Jul 13 01:26:17 UTC 2006

> I qwould like to have the operating systems run at the same time.

One doesn't need to use vmware.  One could use QEMU or Bochs.
Both are emulators that will allow you to do a simple install
within a virtual machine.  There are distributions of Linux that
are designed to fit on a USB key and boot within Windows using
QEMU (I think Puppy Linux and [pardon my language] Damn Small
Linux are such a beasts).  Lastly, there's a version of Linux
called "Cooperative Linux" that, instead of targeting the X86
architecture, targets the "Win32" architecture.  A crazy twisting
of ideas, but it allows you to run Linux as a native process
under Windows.

You can learn more at

Bochs:
http://bochs.sf.net

QEMU:
http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/
http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/

Puppy on QEMU:
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Operating-Systems/Linux-Distributions/QEMU-Puppy-10352.shtml

DSL on QEMU:
http://damnsmalllinux.org/usb-qemu.html

Cooperative Linux ("coLinux"):
http://www.colinux.org/

There are mixed blessings to the process.  Bochs is supposedly
slower than QEMU.  With Bochs, I know you actually get a real
virtual machine.  QEMU might be the same way.  The DSL and Puppy
ports are nice because they've already done the hard work for
you.  However, you can do your own install in a virtual machine
of your favorite flavor of accessible Linux.

Best wishes...

-tim