Problems with Vmware on Debian maybe Fedora instead?

Christian Schoepplein chris at schoeppi.net
Wed Jul 19 16:03:13 UTC 2006

Hi Christian

On Mi, Jul 19, 2006 at 04:21:10 +0200, Christian wrote:
>On 2006-07-19 at 13:11 Christian Schoepplein wrote:
>>Use kernel 2.6.15 and the related header and sources. That should work.
>>At least on my system I was able to compile the needed kernel modules
>>with 2.6.15.
>
>OK, many thanks. As I am a little new to Debian, how do i compile it?

Install the following packages:

linux-headers-2.6.15-1
linux-headers-2.6.15-1-686
linux-image-2.6.15-1-686
linux-source-2.6.15

If you use another processor, e.g. k7, just install the same packages
for your processor architecture.

Then install the vmware package (or vmplayer). There is no .deb package,
I just converted the rpm file from the vmware site to an .deb package
with alien.

After this conversion and the installation is done, just run the command

vmware-config.pl

The installation procedure asks you some questions and the compilation
is done automated.

Hth,
Christian

--