Need help with Vmware

Christian Schoepplein chris at schoeppi.net
Mon Jul 24 13:33:33 UTC 2006

Hij Christian,

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 03:17:53PM +0200, Christian wrote:
>>Start vmplayer directly from the console:
>>
>>- Change into the directory where the files of your virtual machine are
>>  stored.
>>- Execute the following command in this directory:
>>
>>  xinit /usr/bin/vmplayer -X <vm.vmx>
>>
>>  Replace <vm.vmx> withe the filename of your vmx-file
>>
>>If the virtual machine stops during bootup, just hit enter a few times.
>>Depending on your hardwaresettings vmplayer shows messages on not found
>>or not activated devices, but the virtual machine should come up at
>>last.
>
>No, it didnt work. It said something about that my display was already
>set to 0. I have the graphical user login when i start my system so I
>need to press Ctrl-Alt-F1 each time to open up a text console. After a
>few seconds i got the prompt back.

OK, try the following please:

- Open up a console
- Change into the directory where the files of your virtual machine are
  stored.
- Execute the following command in this directory:

  /usr/bin/vmplayer -X <vm.vmx>

  Replace <vm.vmx> with the filename of your vmx-file

If this does not work, please change to pure text mode please:

- Open a text console
- Enter the following command:

  init 3

Then start the virtual machine again with the following command:

  xinit /usr/bin/vmplayer -X <vm.vmx>

What is the exact error message? Without the exact message I can't help
:(.

>Christian

Kind regards,

  Christian