Setting up mail

Christian Schoepplein chris at schoeppi.net
Fri Jul 28 15:29:47 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 01:21:12PM +0200, Christian wrote:
>I want to set up mail under my Debian. I know that fetchmail exists
>but how do I set it to automatically retreive messages? I want to start
>mutt and then I can view all my new mail.

man fetchmailrc

See also the file

/etc/default/fetchmail

>my provider use SSL and SMTP authentication. Any good resource for
>this?

smtp is _not_ related to fetchmail. Fetchmail uses pop3/imap to retrive
messages from a server. smtp is used to send out mails.

You need to setup a local mailserver to send messages, I prefere
postfix which can be configured easily. postfix is able to authenticate
against a smarthost, ssl is supported.

>Christian

Regards,

  Christian