ANNOUNCE - Debian installation alternative (fwd)

Aldo blinuxman at tuxfamily.org
Sat Jun 17 07:45:21 UTC 2006

On Sat, Jun 17, 2006 at 02:37:51PM +1000, Jan and Bertil Smark Nilsson wrote:
> On Mon, 29 May 2006, Aldo wrote:
> >For those who are looking for a very easy and console-friendly d-i, have
> >now a look at the BlinDIA Project Web Page:
> >

> Sounds good. Could I use this script to install Ubuntu?

Not yet. Weve currently only worked around Debian.

>Do I have to run it
> from a Debian style distribution such as Knoppix or can I launch it from my
> current Fedora core 4 distribution which I want to replace?

Try it and please feedback to the BlinDIA mailinglist or here.
As described on the site, you need Knoppix or Grml; it was made
compatible for both: just retrieve the script, make it executable and
launch it after you have prepared some free disk partitions with fdisk
or cfdisk.
It will aks for a root and a home partition;
if you choose for one partition only, then of course all will be fit on
that partition;
if you already have a swap, that will be the swap for the news system,
else it will create a .swp on the / partition of your new system.
Finally, if you have doubts and don't like to see grub replacing your
current bootloader at the mbr, then you simply enter /dev/fd0 when asked
about grub; that's all, after these 3 questions, packages are
downloaded, the base installed and base-config started where you can
setup your timezone, hostname, create root and user account, set up mail
agent etc.
Attention, it is not intended to be as complete as a full fedora or
Debian installation with desktop etc included: you will be able to use
apt or aptitude to mark and add all the packages you need.
But in 14 minutes your Debian is installed.

Give it a try from within Fedora; but don't forget the script uses
debootstrap to perform the installation; I ignore if that package is
present at your Fedora distro.

Aldo
http://lists.ael.be/mailman/listinfo/blindia http://brlspeak.net/blindia.php