making distros like Asterisk at Home talk from installupthrough daily use

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Jun 17 19:18:09 UTC 2006

OK, some facts.

Asterisk is 100% accessible.

Asterisk is not simple.

Asterisk does not require a special kernel.

You may need additional kernel modules for some PBX hardware, but these
compile separately.

Asterisk works 100% with Speakup

Working asterisk rpms and deb files are available that work with
Speakup, so stick to Fedora 5 or to recent Debian.

There are a fair number of us Speakup users running our own Asterisk PBX
systems. I've got one, and the IVR that answers Capital Accessibility
phone calls is running on our Asterisk server on Fedora.

If you go looking for native voip handsets, many of us are particularly
preferring Snom 320 and the soon to be available Snom 300. I use my 320
all the time. In fact, I now have 3 of them.

Janina