make of flite stuck on kal 8k

Lukas Loehrer listaddr1 at gmx.net
Thu Jun 29 08:39:03 UTC 2006

Hi,

In my experience, you will need at least 512MB of physical memory to
compile flite in a reasonable amount of time. You can increase your
swap space to say 1GB, but because you only have 20 % of the physical
memory required, you will see terrible thrashing because a locality of
reference in a compiler like gcc is probably rather low. I tried to
compile flite once on a 256MV machine with 1GB swap space and stopped
the process after a few hours.

Flite 1.2 sounds better than flite 1.3 in my opinion. They managed to
decrease memory usage significantly in 1.3 but the price is some
decrease in voice quality I think. So, if you do not use it in a kind
of embedded device, I would recommend going with flite 1.2. Why can't
you use a precompiled package?

Best regards, Lukas