BRLTTY and Speech

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Mar 23 21:10:36 UTC 2006

[quoted lines by Yasemin Acur on 2006/03/23 at 16:18 +0100]

>I'm looking for a german software speech that is compatible with BRLTTY. It
>should be freeware or GNU/GPL.
>I heard about mbrola,

We could write an mbrola speech drivedr for brltty. It isn't a full
text-to-speech engine, though. At least two additional pieces of information
need to be supplied, i.e. the voice database and the text-to-phoneme converter.
Is there a standard way to do this, or should brltty's mbrola speech driver
simply have two required parameters? How do other speech solutions handle
mbrola?